Friday, August 21, 2015

The beginning

I quit my job at the end of May to spend more time rock climbing. I'd been thinking about doing this for several years but never had the courage to actually do it. I'd say to myself and my climbing friends "someday I'll do it." The song by Creedence Clearwater Revival "Someday Never Comes" came to mind as I was pondering the decision.

I had saved enough money to pay my bills and live modestly for a reasonable period of time so what was holding me back? Concern about what other people would say? That this was a poor career move? That I was letting people down at work? All of these were floating around in my mind but I realized that they were just excuses. They were barriers in between me and an amazing opportunity. How many people are going to look back on life and say "I just wish I would have spent more time at work." Nobody! Everyone is going to look back and wish they had spent more time with their family or friends or knocking the big items off their bucket list. With that realization I made the decision to seize the opportunity while I still had the ability and the desire.

There are many climbs that I would like to do but a couple of big ones are high on the list. One is the the Regular Northwest Face of Half Dome, a popular climb in Yosemite.

Half Dome, Regular Northwest Face, 5.9 A1
The other is The Casual Route on The Diamond on Long's Peak in Rock Mountain National Park.

The Diamond, Long's Peak
Both of these climbs are long, steep and committing. The Half Dome route is about 2,200 feet and the Diamond route is about 1,500 feet, topping out at an elevation of 14,256 feet. If I can get myself in the proper climbing shape, coerce a competent climbing partner to join me, and get favorable weather I intend to do these two climbs. However, there are so many other great climbs out there that I won't be disappointed if these two don't work out.

Stay tuned for photos of climbing trips leading up to these two big adventures.